VOTE BY MAIL FAQ'S
October 8, 2020
When should I call the Ocean County Clerk for assistance?
If you have questions regarding your Vote by Mail Ballot or the design of the Official Sample Ballot, call the Ocean County Clerk at (732) 929-2018.
2. When should I be calling the Ocean County Board of Elections for assistance?
ANY and ALL questions related to Voter Registration, Polling Locations, Volunteering to be poll workers or poll worker training, inquiring if their Vote by Mail Ballot was received, or Election Day questions about poll workers or incidents at poll sites, call the Ocean County Board of Elections at (732) 929-2167.
3. Where can I get an Official Sample Ballot?
Official Sample Ballots can be found on the Ocean County Clerk's website, www.oceancountyclerk.com. 2020 Official Sample Ballots were not mailed out this year. A Sample Ballot also will be posted at each polling place on Election Day.
4. When will I receive my ballot?
All Vote by Mail Ballots to active registered voters will be mailed thru the week of Oct 5. Newly registered voters after the Oct. 13 Voter Registration deadline will receive a ballot shortly after the registration deadline.
5. What if I receive an envelope with no ballot?
Please call the Ocean County Clerk's Office at (732) 929-2018.
6. Can I vote at a polling place?
A limited number of polling places will be available on Election Day where you may only cast a paper provisional ballot. Only disabled voters may cast a ballot on a voting machine.
A list of the 2020 polling places can be found at
7. Why do I have to vote by mail?
Considering the ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Governor Murphy signed P.L. 2020, c. 72 which requires County Clerks to send all active registered voters a Vote by Mail Ballot for the November 3, 2020 General Election.
8. What do I do with my ballot once it is filled out?
Once you fill out your Vote by Mail Ballot, return the ballot to any of the following:
- To the Ocean County Board of Elections via the United States Postal Service
- Drop your ballot in a secure ballot drop box. There are 17 locations in Ocean County
- In person to Ocean County Board of Elections
- In person at your assigned polling place on Election Day
9. Where can I find a secure drop box?
A list of the secure drop boxes can be found at www.oceancountyclerk.com.
These boxes are under 24-hour security surveillance monitored by the County.
10. What is the address for the Ocean County Board of Elections?
The Ocean County Board of Elections is located at 129 Hooper Ave., Toms River, NJ 08754
11. What if I filled out my ballot incorrectly?
If a voter makes a mistake, defaces their ballot, or receives what they believe to be an incorrect ballot, please call the Ocean County Clerk's Office at 732-929-2018.
12. What should I do if I receive a ballot for a deceased family member?
Please notify the Ocean County Board of Elections at 732- 929-2167 as that is the ONLY authorized office that can assist voters in correcting or revising official voter registration records.
13. When is the last date for me to turn in my ballot?
All Vote by Mail Ballots must be returned no later than 8 p.m. on Nov. 3, Election Day. Ballots postmarked by Nov. 3 and received within seven days will be counted.
14. How will I know if my ballot was received?
To track your vote by mail ballot, visit
or call 1-877-NJ-VOTER.
* Voters are strongly urged to go to the Ocean County Clerk's website as there is a special page on the site devoted to only November election matters. There are links, videos and tons of information available there. The Ocean County Clerk's Facebook page (@OceanCountyClerk) has videos and information regarding the election as well.